Bottle of scotch next to a glass with scotch in it.

Limited Driving Privileges

If you are convicted and sentenced as a Level III, Level IV or Level V driving while impaired (DWI) punishment, you may be eligible for a Limited Driving Privilege. This allows you to drive during stated hours for work, educational purposes, household maintenance, and emergencies. To apply for this Limited Driving Privilege, you must present the court with documentation that you have obtained a substance abuse assessment and agree to enroll in, and complete, any recommended/prescribed treatment program; and supply the court with a Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Form DL-123 from your insurance agent.

A Greenville DWI defense lawyer may be able to help you with this process. The Robinson Law Firm, P.A. has nearly 40 years experience in the field of DWI and understands the procedures, forms and requirements required.

Even if you do not have a vehicle registered in your name, but you drive one that is registered to someone in your household, it is still necessary to obtain the DL-123 form. If a vehicle is not registered in your household, you may contact our office for further instructions in reference to a DL-123A form, which must be completed by the DMV.


If your breath or blood alcohol concentration was 0.15% or higher, the motor vehicle you intend to operate under the Limited Driving Privilege must be equipped with an Ignition Interlock System approved by the Commission of Motor Vehicles. This is a mandatory requirement under state law. The Robinson Law Firm, P.A. can assist you in obtaining this system.

If you have been convicted of DWI, our experienced DWI limited driving privilege defense team may be able to help you receive limited driving privileges so that you can carry on with the necessary day-to-day functions of your life.

Contact a DWI limited driving privilege attorney if you need legal assistance seeking a Limited Driving Privilege.