Shoplifting Attorney in Greenville, NC
Shoplifting is commonly known as unlawfully taking goods from a retail store without exchanging payment. This includes merchandise taken home by store employees without express and authoritative permission. However, there are additional actions which violate shoplifting laws, such as:
- Changing price tags on merchandise to pay less than the correct price
- Attempting to obtain a refund for stolen items
- Removing a shopping cart from store property or beyond the limits determined by the store
- Purchasing an item using an illegal payment method, such as the use of a stolen credit card
- Attempting to take items not purchased, even where the attempt is unsuccessful
A store employee, manager or owner has the right to detain anyone if they have probable cause to suspect them of shoplifting.
CHARGES AND LEGAL DEFENSE
The Robinson Law Firm, P.A. is ready to defend your rights in pursuit of the best outcome for your shoplifting case. We will look into the circumstances of your case and determine the best course of action. Perhaps you were mistakenly accused for occurrences during which you had no intention of shoplifting. Even if that is not the case, you deserve to be treated fairly and in accordance with what is just.
Being arrested for shoplifting is not a light matter. Depending on the value of goods stolen, you may be charged with larceny and face felony charges. Even first time offenders can be penalized with jail time. At the Robinson Law Firm our experienced shoplifting team will seek to have the lesser charges and penalties applied wherever possible. Whatever the situation, we are dedicated to defending your rights and freedom.